Monday, February 1, 2010

Daisy, Daisy Give Me your Answer do...


I have recently researched the song "Daisy Bell" because my name is Daisy and I am getting married in August. Remember the song? Here are the lyrics:

There is a flower within my heart,
Daisy, Daisy,
Planted one day by a glancing dart,
Planted by Daisy Bell.
Whether she loves me or loves me not
Sometimes it's hard to tell,
But there are those that would share the lot
Of beautiful Daisy Bell.

Chorus:

Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer, do,
I'm half crazy all for the love of you.
It won't be a stylish marriage -
I can't afford a carriage,
But you'd look sweet upon the seat
Of a bicycle built for two.

We will go tandem as man and wife,
Daisy, Daisy,
Wheeling away down the road of life,
I and my Daisy Bell.
When the nights dark, we can both despise
Policemen and lamps as well.
There are bright lights in the dazzling eyes
Of beautiful Daisy Bell.

I will stand by you in "wheel" or woe
Daisy, Daisy
You'll be the bell(e) which I'll ring you know
Sweet little Daisy Bell

You'll take the lead in each trip we take
Then if I don't do well
I will permit you to use the brake
My beautiful Daisy Bell.

It's funny because I actually never knew the whole song. I always just heard the Chorus. I especially love the last part! So cute! I want to try and incorporate the theme of a bicycle built for two in my wedding. I recently made these adorable tandem bike necklace for myself and offer it in my etsy shop here.



In researching this I found a few "answer-songs" where Daisy refuses her suitor! I would never refuse my fiance but I'd thought I'd share because they are so funny!

The lyrics to the answer song are:

Harry*, Harry
Here is my answer true.
I can't cycle, for I get black and blue.
If you can't afford a carriage
There won't be any marriage.
For I'll be switched if I'll be hitched
On a bicycle built for two.

Another variant is:

Michael, Michael
Here is my answer true.
I'm NOT crazy
All for the love of you.
If you cannot afford a carriage
There won't be any marriage.
'Cause I'll be damned
If I'll get crammed
On a bicycle built for two!

* Harry was the original writer of "Daisy Bell"

No comments:

Post a Comment