Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Hell's Kitchen Flea Market Recap



This past Saturday I sold my jewelry at the famous Hell's Kitchen Flea Market. Named one of the Top Ten Shopping Streets in the World by National Geographic, this market is a true gem. The first time I visited this market was on a quick trip to visit some of my college friends a few summers ago. After a lovely brunch at an outdoor cafe near by we stumbled upon this market by accident and I've been intrigued ever since. Full of eclectic vendors that sell all sort of fun baubles like antique toys and furniture, vintage bag and clothes, one of a kind screen printing goods, jewelry and loads more it really feels like surfing Etsy only in 3D.

Being my first outdoor show in NYC I enlisted the help of my husband to help me. We rose at the crack of dawn and were able to fit my tent, table, displays, and jewels in cab and arrived a few minutes later in time for set up at 7am. It was so nice having the company all day. Sometimes the shows get lonely all by myself so it was nice having a buddy (not to mention the muscles!)



There were lots of highlights through out the day for me. The first being a customer visiting all the way from Australia recognized my goods. She had bought a necklace from my Etsy shop just a few months earlier for her sister. How cool?! I also had a lovely conversation with a woman from DC- who I found out works with one of my Nana co-workers (seriously it's a small world!) And a few friends who I haven't seen since my wedding (almost a year ago!) made a surprise visit. I love the friendly faces!

All the vendors, mostly seasoned veterans of the market, were all so kind and supportive of each other. I scored a super "fellow vendor" deal on two vintage leather coach bags from the woman across the way from me and the woman next to my gave me two vintage evening bags from the 70s for letting her customers use my mirror. Ok I officially have a bag addiction (ok, that's been going on for a while... heheehe) It just reminded me why I love doing the markets. Meeting people from all over the world and finding rare gems really make for a great way to spend your weekend.



At the end of the day, after we packed up in record time, my hubby turned to me in the cab and said "I have a new appreciation for what you do...that was hard work!" Wow, that was nice to hear. It's a lot of work but I enjoy it tremendously. And we had such a successful and fun day that we are coming back to the market this Saturday the 23rd. It's from 9a-5p on 39th Street between 9th and 10th Ave. Here are all the details on facebook. And if you can't make it Saturday I'll be at the Astoria Market the next day too from 2-7pm. You can find all those details here.

No comments:

Post a Comment