Wednesday, November 4, 2009

So, how's the job hunt going?


My fiance and I have recently become obsessed with the show, "How I Met Your Mother"...we are a little late on the band wagon so we have been renting the DVDs to catch up and cannot get enough of this hilarious sitcom. The other night we watched a season 4 episode that really hit close to home for me. Robin is unemployed (like me) and currently apartment-less and gets that ever so pleasant question everyone gets only o a few thousand times when searching for a new job or home. Here's how it went down on HIMYM:

Marshall Eriksen
: So, how's the job hunt going?
Robin Scherbatsky
: Didn't you hear? I got a job at CNN this morning. And I moved to a penthouse made of gold overlooking Central Park. Get your head out of your ass, Marshall.

I think I literally fell off the couch when I heard this. Could I respond to people like this when they ask me about the job hunt? Oo that would be classic. A good friend of mine, who he himself got laid off earlier this year and whose mother also recently got laid off from a high powered exec position told me that he heard the average time it is taking people to find a job right now is 9-12 months. 9-12 months. That's insane but with the state of the economy right now I believe it. Not only is it just plain hard to find a job that is a good fit for you (heck you spend more time at your job that you do at your home you want it to be a pleasant place) but it's just so incredibly difficult to get a call back from the companies you don't even want to work for. Am I crazy for quitting a job I loved in Boston to move to DC to be with my fiance? I hope not. I don't think I would be happy working in a job I like but not seeing my fiance everyday. It's a sacrifice I made and there will be lots of jobs in my life....but I'll only have one true love like this. So that being said I better get to cracking the Rolodex and making some networking calls. Wish me luck...

I leave you with a great clip from the show that makes me so excited to be on "conference calls" again!

No comments:

Post a Comment